Friday, September 25, 2015

Craftroom Clutter

So for about a week now I have been sitting in my craftroom unable to create, study or do anything in there as a matter of fact because it has been driving me insane!!!!!
 
Now, let me also start this post also by mentioning that I am very grateful for my craftroom. I know there are a hell of a lot of people out there be they scrapbookers, mixed media artists or any arts or crafts persons of any kind who would kill to have a craftroom, let alone one as big as mine. So I am very grateful for the fact that also have a very supportive husband, who just so happens to be a very talented DIY type as well.
 
 I remember in our last house we sold, I had one of the single (children sized) bedrooms as my craftroom. But when hubby, myself and my two Labradors where all in there I was suffocating. And I joked that I would love to take over the main bedroom as my craftroom. Well, that weekend I went to a 3 day scrapbooking retreat and came home to find my hubby had spent all weekend moving my entire room of supplies into the master bedroom for me! And setting up the bedding in my old small craftroom! I mean HELLO! What wife doesn't dream of her hubby doing that for her lol.
 
Then I wanted to start teaching at home. So hubby converted the single car garage out the back into a classroom! He put carpet in and heating and set up a coffee station. It was great. But yes, we sold and moved out.
 
But, I now have a craftroom/classroom that is the size of a single car garage in our industrial shed where we live! So I have never been neglected, and once again I am grateful for that. However, lately that room has seemed so small!!!!!! It has felt like I have product and junk caving in on me and it has beyond stifled my creativity. I spent the last two days just sitting in that dam room not knowing how to change so I was happy enough in my environment again to begin creating. Ofcourse money is a huge factor as I have not been lucky enough to be working very often lately. So I needed a change that was achievable.
 
So today after lunch I thought stuff it and hubby helped me attack my room. We were just going to move a bookcase. But we ended up moving a absolutely HUGE air compressor that has been taking up a corner and looking ugly. Then that left room to move a few other things. I also got my butt into gear and removed class trestle tables and extra chairs back into our shipping container as I don't have a class at home for a few weeks and that opens up so much space instantly. We moved the tv slightly and rejigged the peg boards and product.
 
Here is a pic of the backwall after todays efforts:
 
 
And we also added more art to the walls and layouts too:

 
It just feels so much more spacious.
One major major MAJOR thing my craftroom lacks that continually makes me unhappy and which I consider a necessity under normal circumstances is.......
NATURAL LIGHT
arghhhhhhhhhh the fact I don't have any natural light saddens me to no end. Unfortunately there is no change of adding any natural light to my craftroom. The closest I can get is leaving a roller door up (which is next to the entrance door to my craftroom) and letting light from our industrial shed come through. Before today I had a big bookcase and peg board not even allowing that. So I changed all that today, so that on nice warm days I can open the roller door and let the warm northerly winds come in and the natural light too.
 
We do have to make the best of our situations :)
 
I am so relieved that I can now walk into my craftroom without a heavy heart and lack of creativity. I can instead walk in excited again with my space and ready to create!
 
Woooooo!
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
Cassandra
 


4 comments:

  1. Oh Cassie that looks fantastic and what a huge space that compressor was taking up, seeing it in there it didn't look that big but now seeing the photo with it gone WOW. So glad that you now feel that you want to go back into your craftroom. Great things will happen I am sure xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ow thanks Miss Deena! Yes, it is a great improvement without the compressor, I didn't really think removing it would make that much difference. And yes, fingers crossed some great stuff will happen in there now xo

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley, it is definitely a workable space again too xo

      Delete