Monday, May 12, 2014

Let the journey continue

As a child I loved colouring, drawing, creating and just making pretty things. It was something that has always made me happy, and I spose I would even say it has been an escape. As I got older I was not encouraged to continue drawing and my skills were not up to the level of my older sibling, but I always continued to find great joy in art classes through school.


When it came time to select classes for year 11 and 12 and I still had no idea what I wanted to 'be when I was grown up' my mother simply said do the classes you will enjoy and get good marks in. So I chose Art, Studio Art and Graphic Design as three of my VCE classes. I enjoyed them and the art room at school so much that I even sat in the art room at every recess and lunch break and continued my work or homework in there.  I distinctly remember being so thrilled and excited to be able to go on a school excursion in my final year of schooling to our National Gallery to view a Rembrandt Exhibition. Something about his paintings and nude female drawings and the curves was just so stunning and beautiful.


When I left school and worked in retail I began dabbling and then getting addicted to Cross Stitch as my new creative outlet. I gave up the painting, drawing and other things as I was lead to believe that art couldn't be something I made a living from. Now some 15 years later I wonder how different life would be if I had done what truly made me happy and just concentrated on doing what I love, drawing, painting. I have decided to start drawing again! Anything worthwhile in life takes practice and practice is what I shall do.


So I invite you all to follow my blog and facebook page and my creative journey that is being continued after such a long break. It won't happen overnight, but then again how boring would that be??


Cassandra Bright




No comments:

Post a Comment